- How accurate are modern translations such as the New International Version and the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible?
- Why does the Roman Catholic Bible have more books than most Protestant Bibles?
- How can we be sure that the Biblical message has been accurately preserved through the centuries?
- How old are the earliest biblical manuscripts?
- How has the Bible been preserved and transmitted to us?
- Why do we have so many different translations of the Bible?
- How did early Christians decide which writings to include in the Bible?
A classic for more than forty years, How We Got the Bible provides well-researched, accessible answers to many questions like these.
Now in this revised edition, you will find five new chapters covering the Septuagint, the Latin Vulgate, the Sinaitic Manuscript, the illuminated manuscripts, and more. Every chapter in this edition includes new material, followed by a brief summary and questions for discussion.
Learn about the first materials used to write down the words of Scripture. Uncover the facts of some of history’s most fascinating archaeological discoveries. Travel through history, from Jerome to Tyndale and beyond, as Dr. Neil R. Lightfoot discusses the origin, transmission, and translation of the Bible.